Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Your Mom Goes To College

Family favorite *
Yep, I'm going back to college, starting in the fall.  It's been 20 years since (OMFG!) I sat in a classroom.  I am not actually "taking" a class, as I will be auditing a class on the Vietnam war.  It promises to teach me about the history of Vietnam and events leading up to and including the war.

I'm doing this because when I went to Istanbul, I didn't and I lacked the basic history structure in order to help make sense out of what I was seeing.  I'm hoping to have that framework in place, this time.  I'm looking forward to it.

In other news, it's too damned hot.  Supposed to be 108/109 today.  I will NOT be riding in the community ride tonight.  Yesterday, at 6pm, the normal start time, it was just too much to be outside and I'm not even going to attempt it today.

I am struggling with the heat and McDonald's new dipped cone - seems like I go through something like this on a yearly basis.  Not good.  Well, yes, they are good - that's the problem.  It's a habit I've let sneak in.  Time to quit carrying cash for a while.  I managed to survive yesterday without making the stop (and to pass up the wedding cake that was brought into the office, although I did have some of it on Saturday night - Italian Cream, my personal fav.  Food and mood has been rather bingey as of late.  I will be making logistical adjustments to help break that cycle.  Day One - done.  Tonight, I will go to a meeting (it's been four years since I started this process), so that will be change, as I've favored biking instead of meetings for the summer, and I'm fine with that.

Surgery is coming up in about five weeks - which means another month lay off of exercise.  Which, given my general puffiness right now, doesn't bode well.  But I will be just fine - if I can let that shovel stay right where it is.  Then it will be the big trip, starting in mid-October.

Friday, after work, I'm meeting Talia out in Granbury -a lake community about 35 miles away.  We are going out to dinner, then staying in a lakeside hotel before our next bike rally.  We are planning on riding from the hotel to the race and only doing the 20 (hilly) miles.  I am, however, concerned about us getting out of the heat ASAP, so I'm going to push that we drive to the race start.  Those 5 miles home just might be too much.

That's all I've got and it ain't much.  Summer malaise. Oh, one food related thing to add - I've discovered Mission's Carb Balance UNCOOKED whole wheat tortillas. I was burning out on boiled eggs for breakfast, and 30 seconds on each side, filled with some southwest-style egg-beaters makes for a yummy breakfast for about 200 calories and 4 net carbs.  So far, it hasn't been "triggery" for me.  I'm looking forward to breakfast again.

*My daughter, sister and I still, after all this time, regularly quote Napoleon to one another.  It never fails to crack us right up.  At family gatherings, Pebbles is likely to pull the movie out of her bag and there will be groans from others, as the three of us gather to quote the movie and laugh ourselves silly.  I know some folks fall into the "that's not funny" camp, but for me, I saw it for the first time (ages ago) with these two and we've been hooked ever since.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Eat the ham, Tina.

-Roxie

5 comments:

  1. I need to be in your family.
    ILL MAKE THE MORNING TORTILLAS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to eat all the tortillas, Kip!

      Delete
  2. Ugh. This heat is nasty. The Architect is supposed to have a race on Saturday, wheels on dirt at 1:00 pm. Mr. Pea and I are discussing whether or not to cancel on his behalf. For his good and for ours, because racing around at 106 degrees is stupid even if you're an indestructible teen and riding under the tree shade. More importantly, WE don't want to sit out there for two hours in the heat waiting for him to cross the finish line!

    I've ditched cash for a while, and have stowed my debit card deep in the bottom of my briefcase for the same reason.

    I think suffering our summer heat is sort of like northerner's 'cabin fever'. Brain cells go to mush and [good] decisions fly out the window.

    The class sounds super interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be on to something with the whole cabin fever thing - I go "crazy from the heat". And it hasn't even been all that bad this year.

      Yep, I remember that wicked race at Cedar Hill last year in the melty heat. Not fun, for spectators, at least.

      Delete
  3. OMG, I'm so proud of you for taking this class. Patty, the world traveler elderly woman that I worked for always, always read as much as she could get her hands on before going anywhere. She said that was the most important part of a trip because otherwise you don't get to savor it the way it's meant to be. You are a smart cookie.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.