Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Nearly Catastrophic

After spending the day feeling really good about how the day turned out, I came home to find out two things:  1.  That I am a distracted idiot and 2.  That I am incredibly, incredibly fortunate.

I had been rocking and rolling on all cylinders (so I thought) and went to the gym, then ran by the grocery store to pick up a few things, including eggs for my usual boiled egg breakfast.  I was really whipping and spurring, as I needed to get to work on time - boss is out and I'm Alexander Haig.   I came home from the gym/store, threw the eggs in the saucepan to take to work for breakfast and hopped in the shower.  I got out of the shower, hair dryed, make-up thrown on  and came into the kitchen to find that I'd turned on the OTHER burner.  Not the one that I'd put the eggs on.  Oh, well.  I didn't have time for them to cook, so I just turned off the burner - I'd have to have one of the Atkins bars I'd just bought for my breakfast at the office later in the morning.  I laughingly told the story at work about what a doofus I was.  Ha!  Ha!

Except that's not what happened.  When I got home from work and errands and such, it was 12 hours later. The moment I stepped into the house, I could smell that something was WAY.WRONG.  Instead of turning the burner off, evidently I'd just moved the eggs to the burner that was on and walked away.  How in the world did my idiocy not burn my house down?  How does a pan sit on the stove for 12 hours and not do something horrible except stink?  I am humbled by the grace I was granted.

Before returning home, I'd been thinking about what a great day it was (and it turned out to be GREATER than I'd ever imagined), how I'd gone to the gym, remembered it was Mr. Beautiful's spin class day and popped in there.  And it was all 70's music day AND at the end of class, he gave us all (5) a quick neck massage.  Talk about bonus points for trying to walk the path of righteousness!  So there's a star for exercise and lifestyle and I earned one for eating in a what-works-for-me-way.

MalibuKen's malfunction light came on yesterday and after last night's revelation, I don't even care.  I hope to use this incredible, but humbling, good fortune as a reminder to be aware and be in the moment.  Not mentally sitting at my desk, not mentally writing this blog, but here and now and aware.  The risks are too high not to be.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Acknowledge all great kindnesses done to you.

-Roxie


7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I am so glad nothing more happened! And yet, I believe there's a reason why... guardian angels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness gracious. you are fortunate indeed! A neighbor of ours did that and their house DID burn down. Sometimes I can't believe what my middle-aged brain does! I have sat a plate down on the wrong burner more than once (because my kitchen is REALLY tiny) and then BOOM! The plate explodes from the fact that it's the burner that was turned on. Yikes. Glad you are ok and your home is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put a can of soup on the stove to cook as a teenager and went outside to chat with friends...came back inside god knows how long later to find nothing in the pan, and a very upset mother. After that, I've never cooked without staying on task. Shoot,I even have a hard time leaving the house when a crockpot is on! Very, very glad nothing catastrophic happened to you. It was your lucky day, indeed.

    P.S. My grandmother melted quite a few pots and pans in her day - she was the queen of "getting the pan hot" before adding food...but sometimes, she'd get distracted. Never a fire, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the times when life gives us a break. Glad everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you really got lucky that time. I've burned a few things in my 53 years but never came that close to burning it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Cow!!! Grace is definitely in your corner!

    My worst 'incident' involved melting a plastic bowl of potato salad on a burner. Not tupperware plastic, but that hard kind of melamine plastic that was popular way back when.

    I'm so glad you and the home are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am as amazed as you are that nothing more came of that incident. I have been that fortunate as well before, and have counted many, many lucky stars. Thank goodness things turned out all right!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.