Monday, November 26, 2012

Staying In Today

S.I.T., Roxie, S.I.T.
I believe that I create my own reality - or certainly my perceptions of the events create how they affect me.  I had a situation come up recently that just sent my thoughts wildly out into the future.  I can spend hours going over possible scenarios (engaging in fantasy  or "rehearsing") under the guise of "being prepared".  This "lost in thought" was a form of escape or coping that I developed in my younger life, but it doesn't serve me very well these days.

So while I was mentally spinning plates, I got a telephone call from my friend in Florida.  We chatted for a while about a D.I.Y. project of hers that is going horribly, but comically awry and then I asked her if she had a few minutes to listen to an issue I was having.  So I told her and her suggestion to me led me to my intention for the coming year.  Staying In Today.  S.I.T.

Now, I love me a good motto or slogan and this one has the added bonus of having an even easier and simpler acronym.  But wait, there's more!  Now with a new visual to help remind me!  UBU!  So along with UBU, I've downloaded a mindfulness bell to my way-smarter-than-me-phone.  It's a meditation gong that goes off at fairly random times to remind me to come back to the present, release any tension I'm carrying in my body and take a few cleansing breaths. Staying In Today.  S.I.T.  

My self-care has been on point.  Eating clean, good exercise and still no Diet Coke.  I think this weekend was 6 weeks, if my math is correct.  My caffeine and artificial sweetener intact is way down and my water drinking is way up.  Heaven knows I've done lots to try to up the H20, but to no avail.  I have found, however, that I like to drink out of an Ozarka squeeze sports bottle so I've been re-using that poor thing til I think it's going to decompose right in my hand.  But I've been filling the Ozarka bottle with refrigerated Brita-filtered water several times during the day and EVERY time I leave the house.  So far, so good.

Apropos of Nothing:  I moved out of Reata North three years ago yesterday.  I didn't realize it had been that long until Pebbles said something about her three year wedding anniversary coming up next month.  Her becoming united and me on my way to becoming un-united are inexorably tied together in my memory, unfortunately.

Countdown:  60 Day Til Aruba.  Pebbles bought me this gorgeous, slinky, crocheted maxi dress for my birthday - specifically for Aruba.  I'd prefer not to look like a trussed pork roast while wearing it.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  S.I.T.  

-Roxie

4 comments:

  1. I needed to see this today.
    and LOVE the phrasing and the sentence of MY SELF-CARE HAS BEEN ON POINT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also needed this amazing reminder! Beautiful post my friend, I can relate to the rehearsing in the guise of being prepared. OMG that was me to a tee and still can be on my not-so-good-days.

    Ohhh Aruba, how fun! :0) I can't wait for those photos! Have a wonderful S.I.T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. S.I.T.! Good Girl....!


    I love it. It's absolutely perfect.
    Doesn't everyone rehearse in their heads? I certainly do. Ad nauseum.

    *sigh* Aruba - and a spiffy new dress. Sounds marvelous.

    Have an excellent week, Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Sit, Ubu, Sit very well!

    Good intention, great reminder. I think it will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.