Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful Thursday

So how did Thanksgiving get to be a week away?  When did this happen?  My Mom, Sis, Pebbles and Slater will be celebrating together next Wednesday, which means I had to get in my call to Central Market early ;-).  Actually, I just ordered two sides from them and will be preparing a couple of things myself. 

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but my sis has been following low-carb/paleo/whatever and has dropped about 70 pounds and looks fantastic.  She has struggled with her weight her entire life, having dropped a hundred pounds about 15 years ago, but gained it back and then some. She has requested something on the menu that she can eat.  I'm going to try to eat in solidarity with her (bless her heart, she does all the cooking AND runs her own little baking business on the side - I am NOT that strong) so I'm adding a few appropriate choices for us amongst the carbfest that is the Holiday Season around these parts. 

Other than that, there's nothing much shaking around here.  I'm taking Talia to dinner tonight to celebrate her birthday (belatedly).  I picked up several darling little pen and ink drawings in VN of a group of women riding bicycles and I had one framed for her (and one for me).  They turned out really cute.  She has a gallery wall in her home, so I think she will appreciate it.  I may have another one framed so that I have one at home and one in the office. 

Three stars for me yesterday.  I practiced good self-care and generally behaved myself all day long :-).

For those of you who low-carb/paleo/clean-eat, what's your favorite desserty thing that fits into your eating program?

Random trip tidbit:  I finished the paperback I was reading while on the beach in Hoi An.  I went to the resort library and there I found (and read)  The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--a Love Story.  Just about the last book I'd expect to find there. 

Trip photos - completed



Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  If at first you don't succeed, keep swimming.

-Roxie

4 comments:

  1. I think my fav low carb/sugar free dessert has to be the south beach/atkins-friendly 1 low carb cheesecake dessert topped with whipped cream. Not cool whip. Real Whipped cream (if she allows dairy). It's super easy and you can make it in any flavor that you can get sugar free jello in. There's a whole bunch of variations on this floating around. One with sour cream, other without it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest you go to paleOMG.com and check out her recipes. She does lots of low carb/grain free/paleo sweets. Me? I eat paleo a lot of the time but not when it comes to dessert ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a good dinner out. Your sister sounds like she's found her groove with this eating plan - GOOD for her :)
    I have never investigated it before, but know of several people who eat that way. Maybe I should look into that a bit further. I'm in the mood to shake up my eating plan, especially since my kitchen is open 24/7 now that I'm home a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just decided a few days ago that we are hosting Thanksgiving for both of our families... I was looking at my schedule trying to figure out when I can go grocery shopping! It's going to be here before I know it. I've had a few friends eat Paleo style and work for them. Glad she found something that works for her! Great job with the self-care :)

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.