Saturday, December 1, 2012

Discomfort Over Resentment

The above sentiment is courtesy of Brene Brown.  I love it.  It goes right to the heart of my people-pleasing and reminds me that choosing temporary discomfort is better than seething resentment.  And the thing about resentment is that it will find it's way out - at least it does with me.  So as far as these Thursday evening gatherings with Valerie and Kendra, I'm opting out. 

I need to remember that "Sorry, I can't make it" is reason enough for anyone.  And hells, for all I  know, they may be (together or separately) feeling trapped into inviting me.  So it's time to put everyone out of their misery.  I know this is the right answer, but I'd been searching around for how to say it when it dawned upon me that I don't really owe an explanation other than I can't make it.  I may opt-in for other activities, but for now, this isn't it.  Valerie likes to attend meditation with me and I'm perfectly fine with that.  I'd like to keep some relationship with her, if possible. 

I had another opportunity to practice choosing a few minutes of discomfort now, rather than lots of resentment later.  Someone wanted me to do something for them but it wasn't really in my best interest and I knew I would not be happy later with that choice, so I didn't jump right in.  And while it was uncomfortable not making someone else happy, I'm now over that discomfort and I don't have to dread anything nor resent it later.


Still rocking the rut  groove I'm in.  Further rocking will be had today as I ride with Talia and Angela Pea and enjoy this A-MAZING autumn weather we are experiencing here in north Texas.  It has to be the most spectacular fall we've ever had.  The weather is perfect and there is an abundance of brilliant fall color.  And this is December 1!

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Resentment is like battery acid.

-Roxie



3 comments:

  1. I agree, horrible battery acid. Great job taking care of yourself. Happy December!! My favorite month :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and that acid will eat you alive if you let it.

    Excellent ride this morning, even with the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brene.
    and I needed this.
    I WAS feeling lottsa resentment until a moment ago.
    I need to choose to move on.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.