Saturday, December 8, 2012

Physiology Of Feeling Fabulous(ish)

Yesterday I started the day in a real emotional pit.  I wasn't able to maintain my food plan throughout the conference - not even close.  I woke up the morning before from the worst food hangover/coma.  I did okay through breakfast, but then they brought out bushel baskets of the sweet and salty granola bars.  I can't even begin to count how many I had during the day.  By days end, I was feeling phyiscally and emotionally yucky.

And as you know, the trend continued.  While I did eat a sensible dinner that evening, I was a long way from feeling better.  Here's what I did to "return to fabulous".

First, Do No Harm.  Meaning don't let the cure be worse than the disease.  There was no recimination for feeling this way, only self-compassion.  I recognized that I just needed some nurturing and it was up to me to provide it in a healthy way.  No crazy "pick me up" frivilous shopping or trolling Facebook (the equivalent of "drunk dialing").  I went to the gym for my regular morning workout.  Wasn't hungry for breakfast, so I opted for an early (and long - thank goodness for a light schedule) lunch.  I was still feeling fragile and I just wanted to be home.  So I came home for lunch and fixed myself some really nice boiled shrimp for lunch.  Certainly not my normal lunch fare, but something that is on my program of eating and feels very much like a real treat.

Secondly, part of what I was feeling was slightly overwhelmed, for reasons I don't fully understand.  So my reaction/need becomes to "get shit done" - clean something, organize something, declutter something, rip through a to-do list.  So I ripped through some of my to-dos - picked up the dry cleaning, went to the CVS and (finally) picked up the OTC vitamins and supplements that my endocrinology recommended - Citrical with D (I am way deficient again) and a B complex.  I have a real problem swallowing pills, so I have to really look to find out how big the pills are - I ended up with calcium with D soft chews and mini-B complex pills.  I then went by the hardware store to pick up some more lawn bags and to use a $5 off coupon they just sent me.  All of these things combined got me out in the sunshine, interacting with the word and made me feel productive.  I went back to work and had a good rest of the day.

Thirdly, I went to a meeting and then participated in some service work, while visiting with friends.  It was after 8 by the time I got home - had a quick dinner, cleaned up and settled in to watch an Inspector Lynley episode.  Fell asleep.

Up a wee bit too early today, but I'll manage with a nap later on in the day.  I've got yardwork planned for the morning, followed by a bike ride in the afternoon.  I'm still on the fence about the cookie party - it just depends upon how "strong" I feel I am at that time.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Be Fabulous.

-Roxie

3 comments:

  1. O mine. I found myself exactly in the same place - conference and too much sugar. Maybe we should start a movement no sugary snacks in the dark conference rooms! I am also in the self-recovery mode so thank you for inspiring me. Gardening and playing tennis seemed to work- and it was a split second choice - to stop and ride a more constructive wave:)
    Thanks Roxie:)
    And let me know when you are in DC. We will hit a bike trail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking care of yourself might be giving yourself permission to skip the party or it might mean going to the party with a plan. I think at times we are in a place where each option is perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what PJ GEEK SAID
    and Im borrowing the whole whole concept for my week,too.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.