Wednesday, September 18, 2013
1. Mom is still doing well and is still with me. I suspect it will be Thanksgiving, or close to it, before she goes home. She is well enough to go home now, but there is a lot of changes that need to be made to her home environment in order to optimize her health. With her away, my sister has been able to go in and at least "relocate" (I honestly do not know how many storage units they rent - I have a don't ask policy) enough of their "stuff" to allow me and a contractor in to secure bids on replacing the floors and subfloors in most of the place. The carpet was long over-due for replacement and a good solid, easier to keep allergen-free vinyl planks is going down in it's place. The extent of the sub-floor damage was news. I haven't been asked/invited/allowed in the house for about three years. If I don't do all of this now, I don't know when I'll get the opportunity again - although I will be inside this house with more regularity. I had a contractor out last weekend to give me a bid, but I haven't received it yet. That low rumbling scream you hear? That's me reading the bid. But it has to be done. This will benefit me as well as Mom's health. The longer we can keep her healthy and living independently, the better for everyone. So there is an element of selfish in this. I'm grateful she is doing well and I am ready for her to go home.
2. With a good solid effort over the last week, I've been able to stop the scale from creeping up. That's it. Nothing in the downward direction - just holding my own - with days of clean eating and a good, solid exercise effort. My doctor's appointment is this afternoon. I'm hoping for a thyroid rx, but I don't even know if that's the whole story.
3. My gut. Something is whonker-jawed in my gut. I, and my accompanying intestinal tract, are not normal, or at least my normal. I stay so very, very bloated - and I haven't been giving these damn gut bugs anything to eat! Somehow, I think with my dive off the deep end during Mom's hospitalization has given me a whole new, vicious colony of gut bacteria. And I don't have any hope at all that my trip to the doc's today will help this at all. I think I'm on my own to determine what I need to do, to eat, to bring my gut back into submission. There is some interesting research regarding gut bacteria and auto-immune disorders - I'm thinking that this is the crux of my issues.
4. On Monday morning, everyone at Dave's lab was called in and told the business was closing. Soon. He may have work through mid-November, but it is unknown at this point. It looks like his best bet will be a move to the San Diego area. He's entered negotiations for a position there. I don't know what any of this will mean for us. Or if there will be an us - in any event, I completely understand him having to make the best decision for himself and his career. It certainly isn't personal.
5. I'm taking my first ever canoe trip tomorrow with a local university's adventure club. Me and two other cycling friends are going on this two-day, one-night, sleep on a gravel bar, trip. Won't the other attendees (of college age) be surprised to find out they are on a trip with moms!
6. I'm really enjoying my meditation group/class. It is just what the doctor ordered.
Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Go with your gut.